In 2019, what area are you “making space” for?
“In 2019, I’m making space to run my first Ultramarathon while writing my book on living a whole foods, plant-based life. I hope to inspire people to live healthy lifestyles.”TK Smith, founder of Kitchen Skinny and author of upcoming book, “Goodbye to Dieting”
I am making space to run my very first Ultramarathon (with my best friend a.k.a. my wife) and to show people that living a healthy lifestyle, having tons of energy, loads of fun and feeling awesome in your 50s (or any age) does not have to be hard or restrictive.
I plan on doing this by living my life out loud, by example, and finally writing my book “Goodbye to Dieting”, a step-by-step guide on how to easily and enjoyably live a whole foods, plant-based lifestyle.
Share your journey and why this is important to you
Three years ago, I joined Team in Training with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and trained for my first marathon. At the time, I had never even ran more than 2 miles in my life. It seemed impossible and yet, the whole experience sparked a love of running that I didn’t even know I had.
I want to inspire others to realize that something that appears impossible to you right now might be the very thing that sparks a new passion – whether in your health, family or career.Something that appears impossible to you right now might just be the very thing that sparks a new passion Click To Tweet
When I started on my fitness journey over 12 years ago, I was 70 lbs. overweight, over 30% body fat, had high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
As I reached and exceeded my fitness goals, I became very interested in the role that food played in my performance during exercise and recovery. I started studying food and learned about the best foods to support my workouts and overall health. I eventually found the perfect balance between the type, timing, and amount of food I was consuming to support my ideal body composition and, ultimately, my health.
Once I found this balance, it was a very natural and magical place to be. I found I was never hungry and no longer craved the unhealthy foods I once could not turn down. The more I learned about the business of food and the unhealthy state we are as a country, I realized I had to share what I have learned.
Our health in the U.S. is basically in shambles. The rates of cancer, obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, dementia and other chronic diseases are through the roof. About 5-10% of diseases like cancer are due to genetics, the other 90% is environment, meaning up to 90% of disease is caused by what we eat, drink, think, breathe, do, and put on our skin.
This is great news because it means WE have control. We can reduce the risk of disease by providing our body the optimal environment to thrive and be healthy.
If I can do it, anyone can do it! I have been overweight and unhealthy and that feeling sucks! Having a ton of energy, not being on any medication and living life to the fullest is an incredible space to be in!
This has been my journey and why I will be making space to run an Ultra and to write “Goodbye to Dieting” this year.
How would you like to inspire others?
I would like to inspire others to make space for themselves – space to optimize their environment for ultimate health. Once you do this, everything else will fall into place. You’ll discover new energy, new passions and new perspectives. You’ll find you have more space than you thought.
Most of us see ‘getting healthy’ as a separate goal – one that requires sacrifice and restriction. I want to show people that living a healthy lifestyle is neither a sacrifice nor a restriction! Being healthy actually gives you more time and space – more choices and options.
How do you use LifeSpace to achieve your goals personally and professionally?
LifeSpace will help me stay organized and keep my time prioritized on what is important to me. I will use LifeSpace to simplify and organize my personal life.
Having all my important personal information (documents, accounts, passwords) organized so that my family knows where everything is located is a huge stress relief.
I also plan to store and share workout and training schedules with my running team and use LifeSpace to collaborate with all the people involved in my upcoming book, “Goodbye to Dieting”
Provide a link for people to check out what you are up to
In 2019, I plan to live by example, sharing my journey and hopefully inspiring others to make space for their ultimate life! You can find me here:
Ready to share your story?
If you are someone making space for something important personally, professionally or socially this year, please send us your story to firstname.lastname@example.org
Join our LifeSpace Beta Testers
Receive priority access to the LifeSpace Productivity Platform beta group: